Something old: Cake stands
Something New: Doughnut cake
Something Borrowed: See cake stands above.
Something Blue: That icing, though!
Borrow a collection of old cake stands and stack them with our pretty turquoise iced donuts to create a super fun retro-style wedding cake. The donuts are best made on the day of the wedding.
Recipes+styling+photography by china squirrel
Makes about 20 doughnuts.
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
²⁄3 cup superfine sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ cup milk
4 oz butter, melted, cooled
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 egg white
1¾ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons lemon juice
turquoise food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 320°F.
2. Lightly grease 2 10” donut baking pans.
3. Place flour, sugar, and baking powder into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
4. Make a well in the center and stir in milk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla bean paste.
5. Mix until well combined.
6. Spoon mixture into a sealable plastic bag.
7. Cut a corner from the bag then pipe mixture into the donut pans.
8. Bake for 18–20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into a donut comes out clean.
9. Remove from oven and turn out onto wire racks to cool completely before icing.
10. Dip the top of each donut into icing, place onto trays, and allow to set.
11. Stack the donuts onto cake stands.
12. For the icing, place egg white into a medium bowl and whisk with a fork until foamy.
13. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating with a wooden spoon until icing is thick and smooth.
14. Add lemon juice and mix until combined.
15. Gradually stir in drops of food coloring, mixing well until desired color is reached.
16. Ice donuts and display on the stacked cake stands.